Preceded only by water, Green Tea is the second most consumable beverage in the world. This wonder tea which is made from the leaves of Camellia sinensis plant is a rich source of antioxidants called flavonoids. Known to have certain health benefits, the popularity of green tea has increased manifold. Since green tea also contains caffeine, it can have negative effects if consumed in excess, so one must consult a doctor to know about the right dosage as per one’s health condition. Mostly, people drink up to 5 cups a day which is the optimal amount. How does this benefit our body?
Benefits of drinking green tea each day
It has been found through research that the benefits of green tea show conflicting evidence about exactly how much you should drink each day. While some researchers have suggested that drinking just one cup of green tea each day is just about enough, certain studies have also shown that drinking 5 or more cups is also the optimal amount. However, amidst all this, the point that remains constant is that the intake amount differs from person to person and also depends on one’s health condition.
- Oral cancer: As per studies women who drank three to four cups of green tea daily have become less vulnerable to the happening of oral cancer.
- Prostate cancer: Men have also been benefited by drinking 3 cups of green tea each day. It reduces the risk of developing prostate cancer, compared to those who drank just one cup each day.
- Stomach cancer: 3 cups of green tea consumption also reduced the chances of stomach cancer in women.
- Breast cancer: Breast cancer which is quite normal these days, has also shown a huge drop in women who drank about three cups of green tea daily.
- Diabetes: In a retrospective observational study, people who consumed six or more cups of green tea daily had a 33% lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, compared to those who consumed less than one cup per week
- Heart disease: People who consumed 3 cups of green tea daily had a lower risk of heart attack and stroke, compared to those who drank less than one cup.
- Inflammatory bowel disease: It’s also used to help reduce inflammation for those with inflammatory bowel disease and may aid in blood sugar control in people who suffer from diabetes.
Based on the above studies, it’s optimal to drink three to five cups of green tea per day. Drinking 3 cups of green tea is just fine but consuming more than 5 cups per day can have some negative effects. It has also been found that the more green tea consumed daily, the greater the benefits, but you must never exceed the intake of 10 cups per day as this is going to be too much for your body to handle. Try to stick between 3-5 cups each day to stay safe and healthy.
Effect on Weight Loss?
That’s right. Green tea has yielded proven results on weight reduction and as such any article/piece on the benefits of the consumption of green tea stands incomplete without us sparing a word or two on how beneficial it has proven to be on arresting weight gain and even assisting weight reduction. So, let us take a few minutes to list out some of the benefits of drinking green tea.
- Green tea has weight reducing constituents.
- Green tea can mobilize fat cells resulting in the redistribution of fat.
- Green tea can trigger increased fat burning.
- Green tea boosts your metabolic rate.
- Green tea reduces your appetite for high calorific food items.
In a way, green tea neutralizes the undesirable ‘threat’ of unwanted weight, as if it is executing some sort of a multi-pronged military manoeuvre/strategy of attack to bring down the ‘enemy’ (read unwanted kilos). So, it would not be an exaggerated expectation if one were to look forward to losing quite a few of those pesky pounds by emptying 2-3 cups of well-brewed green tea per day. As a matter of fact, one can expect to lose around at least a few kilos/month by drinking 2-3 cups of properly prepared green tea at the most conservative estimated rate of 3 lbs every 12 weeks, according to some experts on diet and nutrition.
Overconsumption of Green Tea?
Green tea contains a considerable amount of caffeine, having it in excessive amounts causes headaches, nervousness, sleeplessness, irritability, irregular heartbeat, heartburn, dizziness and confusion. It might also lead to increased chances of developing osteoporosis because it increases the amount of calcium lost through urine. If you are sensitive to caffeine, or suffer from insomnia, it is better to follow the optimal amount of intake.
In case you are pregnant, you should definitely limit your green tea consumption to two cups a day. Tannins present in green tea reduces consumption of folic acid which is an important vitamin to reduce childbirth defects, so it would be a better choice to skip it completely. It is also known to interfere with the absorption of iron, hence you should avoid consuming green tea with meals.
Green Tea does more good to you than any harm but it can never be a substitute for a healthy diet, physical activity and adequate monitoring of health conditions. In order to get maximum benefit from this drink, you should stay within the optimal dosage, which is about three cups of tea a day. When you follow a healthy lifestyle and drink green tea simultaneously, it will help you better in reducing your risk of several diseases, including diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Also, we would advise you to talk to your doctor before you brew your first cup if you have a history of heart problems, high blood pressure or anxiety. This tea may also interact with medications, including chemotherapy, antibiotics, blood thinners, and blood pressure medication, so it is always better to seek expert consultation. So, now you can go and enjoy your daily brew of green tea and as always stay fit and fine!
The Prestige Eyebrow & Lash Specialist
Lip Enhancement(Director) – $1288(2 Sessions)
Lip Enhancement – $888 (2 Sessions)
Celebrity Feng Shui Eyebrow Specialist – Irene Teo
9 Scotts Road, #03-08Singapore 228210
Tel: 6733 3369 / 6733 3379
Suntec City Tower 2, #02-488
Tel: 6822 3395 / 6822 3396
Website – www.PrestigeEyebrow.com
Instagram – @prestigeeyebrowlash
Call The Prestige Eyebrow & Lash Specialist and make an Appointment NOW! Click Here!
Interested in learning Eyebrow Embroidery/ Microblading? Click Here!