The eyelash perm was undoubtedly inspired by the much earlier creation of the hair perm (invented in the 1870s). The hair perm solution used today contains the active ingredient ammonium thioglycolate, which works by breaking down the hair’s protein bonds to permanently alter the structure of each strand. During this broken-down, receptive state, rollers are used to reshape the hair permanently into curls, waves or ringlets.
The same chemicals and processes used in the hair perm are used today for the eyelash perm, although extra precautions are taken to protect the skin around the eyes from contact with the perming solution.
Therefore, the eyelash perm filled the gap in the market for a low-maintenance eyelash curling treatment that lasted for long periods of time without causing too much damage to the eyelashes themselves.
How Does It work?
You will be required to have a patch test at least 24 hours prior to your appointment. Your chosen beauty professional will dab a little perming lotion on a small section of your skin to test your reaction. If you do happen to react badly, it’s far better for the reaction to occur away from the eyes in a contained area of your body.
Providing your patch test goes smoothly, you’ll be invited back to the salon at a later date to have your treatment. Your beauty professional is likely to administer your eyelash perm in a number of simple steps, as outlined below:
- Eyes and eyelashes will be cleansed with a non-oily make-up remover.
- An appropriately sized perming rod will be selected depending on the look you wish to achieve (bigger rods for a gentler curl).
- A thin strip of glue will be applied to the main body of the rod, which your beauty professional will then bend and shape to fit the curve of your eyelid snuggly but comfortably. Your lashes will then be pushed upwards and secured to the rod.
- Once your lashes are fanned out over the curling rod without tangles or cross-overs, your beauty professional will then apply the perming lotion evenly over every lash using a disposable brush for hygiene reasons.
- Once coated, your eyes will then be covered with either a plastic film or a lint-free pad to generate warmth (heat speeds up the perming process).
- Once activated, your beauty professional will remove the perming lotion with a pad, using a gentle blotting motion.
- Another disposable brush will then be used to apply the fixing lotion over all the lashes.
- Again, a plastic film or pad will be used to cover the lashes and generate warmth. This will be left on for 10-15 minutes.
- After the allotted time, the fixing lotion will be removed with a pad. Your beauty professional will then gently remove the curling rods by rolling them downwards back over the lashes.
- A moisturizing product will then be applied to sooth and cool your treated eyes.
- After any excess lotion is removed with damp, clean cotton wool, you’ll be ready to admire your new look in the mirror.
Benefits for Eyelash Perm?
Eyelash Perm fits for everyone and special events as well!
Every bride wants to look her best on her wedding day, so what better way to polish off professional make-up than with exquisitely curled eyelashes? An eyelash perm will keep your eyelashes looking immaculate all day (regardless of any of tears you happen to shed along the way), so you can wake up the next day beside your new hubby looking as bright-eyed and immaculate as you did the night before.
Before the days of social networking, a week spent make-up free with your hair tied in a scrunchie would have been totally acceptable. Now, it’s not just celebrities who have to be lens-ready at all times. An eyelash perm will withstand anything from scuba-diving and mountain climbing to a day spent sipping one too many mojitos on the beach. The treatment will give you the freedom to look great all day long, without having to waste precious holiday time sat in front of a mirror.
Parties are as much about the getting ready process as they are about the event itself. An eyelash perm provides a great canvas for immaculate-looking make-up and offers a great alternative to false lashes or eyelash extensions.
Even if they do spend their days downing raw eggs and pumping iron in the gym, many female athletes still like to look good. Of course, when heat and exertion cause the surface of the skin to become sweaty and slippery, any make-up present can slide off easily. An eyelash perm gives the face an edge of elegance and femininity even in the absence of make-up, making it a popular treatment for professional sportswomen and avid gym-goers alike.
CAREER WOMEN –
Sitting on a packed commuter train at 6 am with a curler clamped to your eye is not a good look. For women constantly moving from one meeting to the next, squeezing in time for a make-up touch-up can be a challenge. Sacrificing one lunch hour every couple of months for an eyelash perm can save you time and keep you looking smart and awake throughout the day.
Whether you’ve got babies or teenagers, feeling beautiful and confident in your own skin is just as important now as it was when you were a teenager yourself. Although eyelashes are only a small part of most women’s beauty regimes, they still make a surprisingly big difference to the overall appearance of a face. Having an eyelash perm is a great excuse for mothers to get some much-needed ‘me-time’. In the long run, having semi-permanently curled lashes will free up time in a busy schedule.
OUTDOORSY PEOPLE –
If you happen to be an avid climber, diver, sailor, or general lover of the great outdoors, you’ll know that it can be hard to maintain a regular beauty regime. Wind, rain, sea-water, and sweat can all take their toll on make-up – and sometimes even waterproof mascara won’t cut it. Many adventurous spirits choose to spend an hour every couple of months having their eyelashes permed so they don’t have to worry about looking bad when they no longer have access to make-up or time to put it on.
Different Types of eyelash curl
The type of curl achieved with an eyelash perm will depend on the length of your eyelashes and on the size of the rod your beauty professional chooses to use.
There are three different sizes of rod:
- ‘S’ – this is the smallest sized rod and is mostly used on people with shorter lashes for a tighter curl.
- ‘M’ – this is the medium-sized roller used for slightly longer lashes.
- ‘L’ – this rod provides the loosest curl and is most effective on long eyelashes.
Is it Affordable?
Like most beauty treatments, the cost of eyelash perming varies according to the location and reputation of the salon. You can expect to pay anything from $68 for an eyelash perm.
Eyelash perm aftercare
An eyelash perm could last up to six weeks if you care for your lashes properly. You are advised to follow the following eyelash perm aftercare tips:
- Refrain from getting your eyelashes wet for at least 24 hours after the treatment.
- Avoid rubbing or touching the eye area as you could irritate the eyes.
- Don’t spend too long in direct sunlight straight after your treatment, as this could weaken the perm lotion.
The Prestige Eyebrow & Lash Specialist
Lip Enhancement(Director) – $1288(2 Sessions)
Lip Enhancement – $888 (2 Sessions)
Celebrity Feng Shui Eyebrow Specialist – Irene Teo
9 Scotts Road, #03-08Singapore 228210
Tel: 6733 3369 / 6733 3379
Suntec City Tower 2, #02-488
Tel: 6822 3395 / 6822 3396
Website – www.PrestigeEyebrow.com
Instagram – @prestigeeyebrowlash
Call The Prestige Eyebrow & Lash Specialist and make an Appointment NOW! Click Here!
Interested in learning Eyebrow Embroidery/ Microblading? Click Here!